- 0ffice of the Minister
- Laws and Regulations
Posts and Telecommunications Department (PTD) is the Myanmar Telecom Regulator under the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT). Basically, PTD's function as a regulator is to support the Ministry on its policy making functions and to provide regulatory and legal support to the Union Ministry.
The main duties and responsibilities of PTD include-
1) Supervises the operation of telecommunications and postal services
2) Supervising Certification Authorities
2) RF Spectrum management
3) Coordinating and cooperating with international organizations
4) Issuing and regulating different licenses
5) Issuing and regulating different telecommunications related certificates
6) Studying modern telecommunications technology an advising the respective authorities.
7) Supervising the production, import, export, sale and user of telecommunications equipments within the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.
The following are among the different licenses being regulated by PTD -
1) WAN License (Establishment & Service)
2) Service license
3) Station license
4) Satellite phone/ VSAT license
5) Mobile license
6) Microwave license
7) WLL license
8) Long-range and short-range cordless phone license
9) Point to point license
10) Telecom equipment repair license
11) Telecom equipment dealer license
12) Certificating Authority (CA) License
13) Public Access Center (PAC) License
One main function of PTD is to regularly revise the existing rules and regulations concerning telecommunications and ICT so as to bring them up to date with the changing technology environment and international developments. Currently the following laws and notifications have been issued to regulate telecommunications and ICT sectors-
1) Myanmar Telegraphy Act
2) Myanmar Wireless Telegraphy Act
3) Electronic transaction Law
4) Computer Development Law
5) Notification on Wide Area Network Establishment and provision of services
Concerning Radio Frequency Spectrum management activities, PTD with technical assistance from ITU had drawn up Myanmar National RF Spectrum allocation Plan which will remain in force up to the end of the decade, after that PTD will revise the spectrum plan. Spectrum allocation and spectrum assignment are done on first-come first-served basic and priority is given to the incumbent operator MPT and to national interest. Currently, any person wishing to import telecommunications equipment into Myanmar or use a telecommunication equipment in Myanmar requires a prior-allowance or licenses from PTD. Network operators also require licenses from PTD.
Building No.2, Special Development Zone, Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
Ph: (+9567)407225 | Fax: (+9567) 407216 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011 Ministry of Communications, Posts and Telegraphs.
All rights reserved.